Re: A question about resold units
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 04:52:01 -0800 (PST)
We have a transfer fee written into our by-laws.  We've never evoked this fee
because it only applies when a unit makes a substantial gain over their
original purchase price.  It think it's written that, if the unit sells for 20%
higher than the original purchase price, the community will get 1% of the
amount over 20%.  This makes the fee more symbolic than anything.  The
probability of any real money being gained these days is small.  We wrote this
policy at the height of the housing market where some members had earned double
what they paid for their homes prior to moving into community, so that money
seemed real back then.

A word of warning though, the Fair Housing Commission sited the transfer fee as
one of the reasons they denied us certification.

Patti
JPCohousing, Boston.