A Home In Community seeks your support!
From: Debby Vajda (debbythe4dgroup.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 07:54:18 -0800 (PST)
December 2012

Dear Friends,

Five years ago, a small group of people in Corvallis, Oregon joined together to create /A Home In Community/, a nonprofit organization that has the goal of promoting inclusive communities. Through AHIC, people who are physically disabled and low-income can have the opportunity to benefit from the joys of cohousing, where people live in community with one another. Our first project, /A Home at CoHo/, is an ADA-accessible condominium unit at CoHo Ecovillage in Corvallis.Mike Volpe, who has had multiple sclerosis for over 35 years, is our first renter. We are also interested in partnering with other cohousing communities to create additional affordable rental opportunities for other low-income adults with disabilities.We are already taking steps to encourage new communities to consider accessibility and visitability in their planning.

Cohousing is truly a perfect antidote for the isolation that often accompanies disabilities.As Mike says:

/For the first time since I was diagnosed with MS, I'm living in a place where I know /

/all of my neighbors care about me and I care about them.I can be with people whenever I want, simply by going out my front door or down the path to the /

/Common House, where I can enjoy community dinners, music and conversation. /

/The interaction with the children of the community adds an unexpected joy.///

Thanks to generous support from the Corvallis community and others across the country, we were able to purchase this home in October 2007 and Mike moved in the following month.In addition to donations, we received loans from the OSU Federal Credit Union, the City of Corvallis, and private individuals.Our commitment now is to raise the funds needed to pay off these loans so that we can guarantee that this home will be permanently available as an affordable rental to Mike and those who follow him.

Every dollar you give goes directly to the project.We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a volunteer working board; we have no expenses for staff, office or telephone.*We're also very proud to announce that we have won a 2012 Top-Rated Award from GreatNonprofits!*

So many organizations have a large pool of funders.We do not.We are therefore asking each of you to look into your hearts and your finances to see if you are comfortable making

a tax-deductible donation during this 2012 Annual Appeal.

We would greatly appreciate your care, whether a one-time donation or a monthly commitment.Tax-deductible donations may be sent to PO Box 1733, Corvallis, OR 97339 and are also welcome on-line at www.AHomeInCommunity.org <http://www.ahomeincommunity.org/>.Each gift means so much.

With heartfelt thanks,

Debby Vajda

President
/A Home In Community/