Affordability Specifics
From: Gloria Hoffman (hoffman1comcast.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:18:52 -0800 (PST)
We are trying to build a community in a middle class urban area in
Philadelphia and have the goal that our cohousing units will cost no more
than the market rate for the older, more spacious houses in the area.  Our
average unit size for is 1100 sq. ft., while the neighborhood houses are at
least 2200 sq. ft.

We were hoping for prices in the $200 thousands for the smaller units, but
costs are in the $300 thousands.  It seems that any new construction will be
way more expensive than existing house costs and that the only feasible
alternative is to renovate an existing building.

We have had our eyes on a great site, but it would involve new construction!

We have also been told that banks are currently not willing to lend money
for building condominium developments.

Very discouraging news-but we still have hope!!

We would appreciate any info on both of these issues.

Thanks,

Gloria Hoffman

Wissahickon Village Cohousing

hoffman1 [at] comcast.net