Is Cohousing Cheap(er)?
From: Susan Hyne (susanhynegmail.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 08:26:19 -0800 (PST)
Read one of our CoHo Ecovillage (Corvallis, Oregon) newsletters from 2006
for a slightly different perspective on the cost savings of living in
cohousing.

http://cohoecovillage.org/newsletters/CohoNewsletter6.pdf

The link to David Wann's 2004 piece no longer works, but you can Google his
writings on this topic.

Looking back, I'd say most of what was predicted in this 2006 newsletter
has happened.   Half of our units did a bulk purchase of solar panels a few
years ago.  In my case, after applying the state and federal tax credits,
my system is practically free.  The solar company owner said this was the
biggest discount he'd ever been given by his solar panel vendor.

As a community, we took advantage of the group bus pass in our town; cost
per person was less than $6/year.  Now, the system has gone fareless,
thanks in part to a CoHoot (CoHo member) on the City Council.

We have an active meal program with adult meal prices set at $3.50, pretty
affordable for an organic vegetarian meal.  For additional savings,
households can purchase items from our well-stocked pantry.  Each year, we
do a cider pressing and fill one freezer with cider to enjoy throughout the
year.

Of course, results vary by community, but overall I'd say that sharing is a
very strong ethic in our community and some of that translates directly
into modest dollar savings.

P.S.  We have units for sale/rent.  Check out our website
http://cohoecovillage.org/sale.shtml

--
Susan Hyne