Re: Is Cohousing Cheap(er)?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:05:46 -0800 (PST)
The question "Is it cheaper?" has to be coupled with "compared to what?"

When you add the cost of the CH maintenance and the hours it requires to
maintain the community in the absence of an onsite building manager, I don't
think it is.

Life is different, particularly for singles and children, but I don't think it
is cheaper. It is richer with more spontaneous interaction and the presence of
the CH facilities. Otherwise our units are market rate and our condo fees are
comparable to other communities in which there is no work requirement or work
necessary to maintain the complex.

I think any savings come from group purchases, cooking for each other to
produce meals, babysitting trades, etc. But these are also available in other
contexts in which people are equally willing to do the organization. What makes
them easier in cohousing is the expectation that they will occur and the
physical proximity of participants. The design of the community is very
important in facilitating interaction. It's just easier to interact with people
next door than with those across town or even a few blocks away.

For the group that initially moved in the units were below market rate and the
market skyrocketed just after we moved in. This would appear to produce a
cheaper living arrangement for the founders but others have pointed out that
the rise in prices was across the board in condominiums, not particular to
cohousing.

It's a hard question but I would not suggest that people move into cohousing
because they think it will be cheaper.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines