Re: Is Cohousing cheaper?
From: rpdowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 13:30:56 -0800 (PST)
I don't think urban v rural explains much about "savings", or no "savings", in
cohousing. If one feels one has more time than money — and also, some strength
and skills to make good use of that time — then one can "save" cash by
investing hours. This is why amateur do-it-yourselfers build their own decks on
the backs of their houses — with varying degrees of success.

So what uses up personal / family time? The two demands at the top of the list
are (1) a full time job, and (2) kids. If one has both (1) and (2), the amount
of "free" time available for building a deck or managing chickens may not seem
like a lot. None of this, however, is particular to cohousing, differentiated
from normal housing. It's true you can conserve cash by living off the grid
(meaning, rural?), but again, this is not an essential feature of cohousing.

I'll stick to my assertion of origin. With the possible exception of enhanced
sharing of vehicles and appliances, or bulk purchasing — assuming the community
can work out the legalities and politics — there is not much reason to
anticipate that cohousing will be cheap.

RPD