Re: Is Cohousing Cheap(er)?
From: rpdowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 02:17:02 -0800 (PST)
Well, I think it is being mentioned. At Cornerstone Cohousing , we (the Dowds
house) have ready access to a guest room, an arts and crafts room, and a
back-up kitchen with a commercial refrigerator — all of which have made it easy
for us to downsize from a minimally functional 1500 sq ft single family home,
to a highly functional 1000 sq ft apartment. Works for us. But not for others,
who prefer to maintain their commitments to privatized servicing of their
household needs. A life of sharing is more attitude-driven than cost-driven.

You, however, go even further — implying the utility of specialized rooms such
as an extensive library or piano / music room. I happen to agree that both
amenities can be highly valuable — for the right households. In the former
case, a real library — with community-paid periodicals, well-managed book
contributions, and a couple of internet-connected work stations — could be the
deal clincher for some households ... but irrelevant for others. Same for the
acoustically isolated grand piano room, which might also include practice space
for the community garage band, and a lending library of CDs.

My point? The exact amenities you choose to include (or exclude) will much
influence the kinds of members and buyers you will attract. They will help
condition the character of the community — academic and intellectual? musical?
kid/family focused? farm oriented? — that you eventually establish. Not all
cohos are just the same, and this is a good thing.

RPD

PS: Is 1,200 sq ft of apartment, plus valuable shared common space, less
expensive than a 3,000 sq ft single family home? It seems likely that this will
indeed be true. But your dichotomy emphasizes extremes that may not be
relevant. A family with two kids and a finite income will usually end up paying
$X for a housing unit, probably three bedrooms. Whether the unit is "big", with
an extra "family room", "den" or "workshop" — or smaller, coho-style, with
access to shared spaces — what this family will pay for the unit will not vary
much from one context to the next. In cohousing, you don't buy cheaper. You buy
different.