Re: Is Cohousing Cheap(er)?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:45:10 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:20 PM, oz <oz [at] ozragland.com> wrote:

> In our case, our 1,100 sq ft home included 1/13 interest in a 4,000 sq ft
> common house. Dividing the 4,000 sq ft by 13 homes yields 307 sq ft of
> shared space per home.

But did you have a 2,000 sq ft home to begin with? And would you have downsized
anyway? And how many people are actually doing this?

The only people I'm aware of here who significantly downsized were ready to do
so anyway. A large number were living in group homes or sharing apartments and
thus were upsizing significantly.

> Adding 307 sq ft to the largest Songaia homes (1,800 sq ft) is still
> slightly small than the median sized home completed in the US (2,169 sq ft.
> in 2010).

I'm not sure this "slightly" is significant in supporting the argument that
cohousing is cheaper: 2,107 vs. 2,169.

Our largest units are probably above the average though I don't know the
numbers -- 4 bedrooms (one huge) on two floors; living room, kitchen, den on
one floor; and a full basement. Not a large yard but on the green.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC