Re: Summarizing - Affordability and Living Cheaper in Coho
From: Jerry McIntire (jerry.mcintiregmail.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:02:43 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Mariana for the summary.

In our case, we have chosen to site our community close to the jobs,
schools, and shopping that we use regularly, which reduces commuting
expenses. This is a way to keep cohousing from being more expensive than
other options.

We are counting on smaller homes and an efficient common house to require
less square feet (less cost) than would all of us building individual homes
without the shared amenities. Guest rooms in the common house is perhaps
the best example-- all of the homes can forgo building a guest room. We
plan to do the same with laundry.

Shared space and resources are significant, I believe. Condos and
apartments approach this, of course, but with much less sharing of
equipment and social resources.

Jerry
www.stonesthrowcommunity.wordpress.com