Re: Summarizing - Affordability and Living Cheaper in Coho
From: rpdowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 16:42:05 -0800 (PST)
Fair enough: The Earthships website is less convincing than it should be (but
thanks for looking). Even so, this eco-village is great to visit -- I've been
there twice -- and it provides a number of publications and videos that are
very engaging.

The basic architectural idea is: Rammed earth dwellings backed into dirt mounds
stabilized by old tires and thrown-out beverage containers ... plus
south-facing glazing for supporting everything from passive solar to hot house
gardening. The enclosures are rude and rough ... but the interiors are
amazingly artful, beautiful, and crafty-unique. The floor plans — a sequence of
half-buried rooms strung out along a south-facing circulation gallery, often
planted out -- are really quite simple and standardized, even if the interiors
look elaborately decorated. Do not insist that "simple" must equal plain,
impersonal or austere.

Proprietary technology provides everything from three-stage water management to
hyper-efficient refrigerators and photovoltaic electricity. But ... in order to
cook ... they still must bring in energy concentrated in the form of propane in
tanks. It's very hard to get 100% off the grid and still live a modern life.

Socially, it has all ended up survivalist, I'm-all-right-Jack, leave me be with
my family in my Earthship. Cohousing, and community, it's not. Cheap and
elegant living, it is.* Partly because much of this housing is built
sweat-equity. Point? Cohousing is clearly a particular kind of social
innovation, which can prosper and succeed perfectly well in almost any built
context. Cohousing is a sociological, not architectural, adventure.
Eco-villages are often technologically -- and sometimes culturally -- far out
... but are not necessarily cohousing. There is no deterministic correlation
between "cheap housing", and cohousing.

RPD

* Well, cash-cheap for the pioneers who pounded sand for months, creating their
own house. Open market, these customized, one-of-a-kind dwellings carry
surprisingly high price tags, especially for New Mexico.

PS: Good quote from Architect Mr McDonough. But I would go further. Ability to
imagine a future is the foundation of human intention. Imagining a future is
what separates us from all the fish of the sea, birds of the air, and beasts of
the field. Maybe a little after that, we figure out how to design something ...