Panama for Affordable Cohousing
From: John Leet (jwleetaol.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 10:18:48 -0800 (PST)
Jerry says we should be able to build for half of what we are projecting.
We've built 3 properties in Panama to date, and developed land and built office
and medical buildings in the states.

The last house we built was in the $50/ft2 range, and of much better than the
normal Panamanian quality. We find that our prospective cohousers want North
American quality in their homes (straight walls, possibly smooth walls,
insulation, etc.).  This does not happen at $50/ft2 in today's market.  We are
projecting our home costs at $100/ft, and will have a 4000 ft2 common house, a
lap/leisure pool and lots of land.  Most of us have been in Panama for several
years, and we want quality that is not typically available, except at some of
the higher priced condos.  We will be well below those prices with excellent
quality.

The other aspect is time.  Supervising a building crew here closely enough to
get good quality, makes for a long day and if you get one house built in 6
months, everyone will marvel at your speed. Most of us are retired, and have
entered the last 25% of our lives.  We don't have years to spend to get into
the cohousing that we have yearned for most our lives.  Thus, we are spending a
bit more to have a quality development in a reasonable time.  We hope to be
moving into our community within 2 years.

If you are in Panama, look us up.  Or go to
www.facebook.com/PanamaCohousingVillage

Ciao,

John Leet
206 792-9959