Consensus and voting bylaws
From: Willow Murphy (willowm7gmail.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:29:13 -0800 (PST)
Question:  How have other cohousing communities dealt with the process of
reconciling voting bylaws and the primary commitment to use consensus,
based on trust and hearing every voice?   What has been your process?

Ours is a new community with a new governing board, so we seek the wisdom
of older communities.  Most of our community members (but not all
unfortunately) are committed to consensus and we've never resorted to
voting in our three years. Our new board is proceeding with work on an
amendment to our boilerplate condo bylaws.  They are feeling the need to
include a consensus plus voting clause, presumably to protect our consensus
process legally, and they are concerned about possible liability issues.
 Either later or as part of this process, we are studying how to handle
blocking of consensus, for a future policy.  We would be grateful for input
and feedback.
Thank you,
Willow
Sand River Cohousing