Re: Consensus and voting bylaws
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:13:23 -0800 (PST)
Willow,
I don't know your jurisdiction either but here in Virginia only the CC&Rs
(Covenants, Conditions and
Restrictions) need to be filed with the County. The Bylaws do not - and we have revised them twice (though with a final attorney review)

State HOA regulations frequently refer to HOA Boards. Cohousing communities tend to abhor Boards. Here at Shadowlake Village (www.shadowlakevillage.org) we do not have one. To align with VA State law (and with the attorney's advice) our bylaws state that:

The power and decision-making authority of the Board of Directors resides in
and is exercised by the
plenary as described in these Bylaws.
where the plenary is defined as:   Members who are physically present at
plenary meetings and who
will make community decisions at those meetings as described in the
Decision-Making section of these
Bylaws.

Michael at Shadowlake Village, Blackburg, VA - where at last the housing market
has been picking up
with an influx of new young families.  Yippee!

----- Original Message ----- From: "R Philip Dowds" <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>