Re: Consensus and voting bylaws (Willow Murphy)
From: drmaryanngroups (drmaryanngroupsmac.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 07:04:05 -0800 (PST)
Several years ago (5+?) because of changes in state law we needed to re-write
our CC&Rs and By-Laws at that time we re-defined our governing documents as a
three-legged stool of those two documents plus our Policies and Procedures
manual. The P&P is in non-legalese and can easily changed as our needs change.
In it we have detailed procedures for gaining consensus, what to do in the case
of unresolved blocks and when a decision is taken to a vote. (Copies available
for purchase from our website http://www.manzanitavillage.com.)

We also define three types of members: homeowners, renters, and affiliated
members (who don't live on the property). In general, all three types of
members have full rights and responsibilities including participating in the
consensus process with four exceptions. Only homeowners (members of the
official HOA) can vote on:

1) Revising the CC&Rs and By-Laws
2) Electing the HOA board of directors (required by state law but being
"titular" in practice since except in very unusual cases they merely ratify
decisions made by the community as a whole)
3) Levy special assessments
4) Raise the monthly dues

In general, even in these cases, the decision is hashed out in a plenary
session before being brought to vote of the home owners.

Mary Ann
Manazanita Village, where we're having a beautiful but cold Arizona morning