Email
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:19:32 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 13, 2013, at 9:58 AM, R.P. Aditya <aditya [at] grot.org> wrote:

>   http://www.gocoho.org/boa

One of the items posted here is the email policy. I'm curious why your
community thinks decisions can't be made on email. I find it a great place to
make some decisions and is saves enormous amounts of meeting time. It also
provides a written record.

I've recently used the written record, hundreds of emails, on several issues to
clarify what happened and didn't happen when on issues that were discussed by
more than one team and never made it to anyone's minutes. It was incredibly
helpful. Each team remembered their discussion and decisions without
remembering anyone else's. They had all forgotten key dates.

One of our most crucial teams, facilities, has moved the model of only
discussing and deciding in meetings. Any topic raised just goes on the next
agenda. Even with 2 hour meetings, not everything gets discussed. Getting
things done is so slow that I think we are now two years behind on major
projects. And they meet twice a month.

I love email (as you can tell) and don't find that it has the limitations
ascribed to it, but I do have the advantage of being a writer and think better
if I can write. As an introvert, I find face to face laborious and long, and
every bit as contentious as people say email is. My worst conversations have
been face to face.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines