Re: Consensus as primrary decision-making method w/voting back-up
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:19:21 -0800 (PST)
At JPCohousing we have a list of common values, extracted from our Vision
Statement.  A member is not allowed to ever 'block' anything unless they are
protecting a commonly held value.

In the dog example below, the only way the member could 'block' the creation of
a committee is if there were a community "common value" that there should be
absolutely no rules/restrictions/ or policies about pets.  In the absence of
this stated common value, the facilitator would not allow the block and most
likely a conflict resolution session would get scheduled.

To me, it seems like the dog member is worried that her fears won't be
validated and respected, and that her very real and profound emotional needs
will not get met by her neighbors.   She does not trust her community's
process.

Sometimes however, blocking could be important.  If it looks like the community
is heading toward a decision that is against a common value, a member should
stand up in defense of the value.   At JPC we haven't had any blocks once we
agreed that the blocking tool may only be used in this way.

Patti - JPCohousing - Boston, MA