Re: What Is Process?
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:00:58 -0800 (PST)
Process is Much more than a decision.  Process is what happens between any
living beings, all the time.  Love, anger, friction, support, help, attraction,
repulsion, etc.  In these postings about consensus, it is useful to notice and
perhaps think about the differences between a consensus culture and consensus
decision making.
E.g.
  - sales is more than the close (think education)
  - Building relationships and courting that does or does not lead a marriage
(think ongoing friendship)
 - I am sure you can think of others

Our experience will continue to be disappointing when we explore consensus and
choose to have that mean only Consensus Decision Making, and particularly as an
event with no attention to the context/culture.  The development of a consensus
culture is not accidental.  It takes more than a designed space to encourage
deep engagement around personal, complex or emotional issues, or consultants
that ignore the critical importance of other processes in the community
(association meetings, work party, meals, other events) that will not
automatically result in more than the casual conversations that are different
from what we experience outside our community settings.

There is more to this than what I have posted here, deep psychology, sociology,
history, cultural differences, differences in personal interpretation
(behavior) of community core values, etc.

This is the ongoing challenge in all dimension of all relationships -
spiritual, emotional, physical, mental, financial, etc., but obviously made
harder when in community.

Don Benson
503.296.7249

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give
happiness.   (Thomas Jefferson 1788)