Re: What Is Process?
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:40:32 -0800 (PST)
Again it appears to me that you are wanting to collapse the discussion of
process to a particular type of event (decision making) and group (community)
to the gathering or meeting of the group for the purposes of making a decision.

The work of Sam Kaner the Faciltators Guide to Participator Decision Making
(second edition) recognizes that there are many types of groups, and groups in
various stages of consciousness, or homogeneity, or maturity, and reasons for a
group to get together, in the moment or over time, before and after making a
decisions, and that one process does not fit for every reason, decision type or
group.  The work of Billie Alban and Barbara Bunker, by Tom Atlee, edited by
Peggy Holman, written by Marv Weisbord, and  others also recognize the larger
differences that need to be recognized in the context and addressed in the
identification of a desired outcome (result) and the selection of an
appropriate process, to keep from making the assumption that one size (process)
fits all.

Each of the many processes has an advocate.  The challenge is to become a
smarter facilitator, clearer about group desired outcomes, in order to make an
appropriate selection from a large collection of process options.

Don Benson
503.296.7249

It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give
happiness.   (Thomas Jefferson 1788)