Re: Does your community have a Teen Room?
From: Karen Carlson (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:39:23 -0800 (PST)
We have a room for younger children and a second room that during our planning
stage, was thought of as a teen room.  This was not without controversy.  One
set of parents didn't feel teens should have a separate room; others thought it
was a really good idea and would be welcomed by teens.  As a community, we
never faced the controversy (perhaps bec we only one teen at move in) and let
time dictate the use.  It is on rare occasions used by young teens and some
young adults but mostly it's used by older children (maybe 7, 8 on up).
Sometimes it's a terrible mess but a number of parents work to keep it in
check.  It can be used for meetings when other spaces are busy but that happens
very rarely.  So, I would say it has evolved into a second room for kids.
We'll see what will happen as these children hit their teens.

I should add that we have an exercise room with a ping pong table, foosball and
air hockey (along with exercise equipment).  This room is popular with kids.

Karen
Arboretum Cohousing Community
Madison, Wi