Workshare
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:41:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi Grace,
While I would never be so bold as to claim that we are fully satisfied with our
shared work, I think that we have given it quite a bit of attention and gotten
pretty good results here at Ashland Cohousing.  We have several different types
of work responsibilities that we've worked out over the years.

1) Committees.  This is a hold-over from when we were building our community,
and still works pretty well for delegating most of the care of our community
and keeping most decision-making out of our monthly meeting.  We are a pretty
small community with only 13 households and about 20 adults (lots of kids).
Everyone needs to be on one of our committees.  We require people to convene
one or be on two committees.  People pretty much stick with the same committee
for a long time.  There are some that need to beg for members occasionally.
Our committees are Finagel (Financial & legal), Landscaping (responsible for
maintaining the landscaping), Commons (responsible for maintaining all the
common property other than the landscape), Facilitation (responsible for
agendas, running meetings, and trainings), Garden (responsible for food growing
in our large community garden) and Heart Team (concerns itself with people
joining & leaving, conflict and emotional ripples in the community and
parties/holidays).  People on committees do not need to do all the actual work,
but need to organize getting the big chunks done on workdays or hiring it out
where appropriate.  They set itemized annual budgets to work with (approved by
the whole community) and are pretty autonomous with decision-making.  Meetings
are announced in case others want to attend and notes sent out to everyone.

2) Work days.  We have a work day once a month for about 3 hours.  If you don't
show up, you are assigned a task to complete later.  We provide childcare.  We
worked out a new method of organizing this with the help of Eris Weaver at a
workshop last year and it seems to be working out pretty well.  Two people
convene each workday so you have to do it about once a year in our community.
Committees tell the convenors what needs to be done and they assign jobs, make
sure materials are on hand, and check on completion.

3) Chore Wheel.  We also have a requirement for everyone to do about 2 hours of
work each month from our chore wheel.  Most of the jobs are common house
maintenance, but we also have bookkeeping, some landscape and garden work, and
people can put a self-assigned chore in the other category if needed.

4) Meals.  We keep meals separate from the rest of the work share because meal
participation is not mandatory in our community.  Most people participate in
meals and sign up for 3 shifts per 6-week rotation either cooking or cleaning
up.  Those who rarely come to meals choose their own level of meal sign-up.

5) We also expect people to come to our monthly 3 hour meeting most of the
time.  We try not to do too much business at these meetings, although there are
whole group decisions that need to be made sometimes.  Instead we try to keep a
lot of time for discussions about issues in the community.  Generally this done
through "open forum" in which anyone can bring any issue forward for discussion.

We've talked about various types of accountability over the 5 years we have
been here, but have not instituted anything formal.  We talk with people who
seem out of integrity.  Our biggest challenge has been the small minority who
have given themselves permission to not do their fair share.  We continue to
revisit this with them in conversation, inviting them to define an exception
for themselves that holds some degree of fairness.  This has had varying
degrees of success.  Fortunately, the number of people who are not on board is
fairly small and we maintain pretty good esprit de corps.

I want to give credit for our success to several things.  One is the individual
courage and commitment of the community members who are willing to involve
themselves in difficult conversations.  This is usually done in our community
one on one rather than in a more confrontational setting in our meetings.
There are also many people in our community who are willing to take the time to
discuss and try to resolve feelings of dissatisfaction or disfunction that
appear in our community.  We try to do this in a positive, transparent and
non-gossipy way.  Since we created the Heart Team a couple of years ago, this
is the place where many of these discussions are held.  In addition, from the
start we have set aside money in our annual budget for an annual training of
some kind.  These are usually attended by almost everyone in our community, and
we have invited a variety of outside facilitators to come work with us on
whatever they do best and whatever we seem to need help with at the time. It's
not just that the trainings are useful, but what is more important IMO is the
acknowledgement of our commitment to ongoing learning about how to make this
social experiment work.

Good luck with your project.
Melanie Mindlin
Ashland Cohousing Community