Re: Searching for a cohousing community that is satisfied with how its workshare is working. We want to learn from you.
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:04:01 -0800 (PST)
I think I'm seeing a pattern here. The two communities that I remember saying
that things are working well for them are 11 and 12 units. Another is 20, I
think.

Could people who chime on on workshare state community size in terms of units
or households?

We have 43 units and while an enormous amount of work gets done by individuals
and on workdays, it is unevenly dispersed with some households contributing
nothing and a few others almost nothing or are not dependable. Some are
stepping back from being very active and wanting to "get on with their lives."
Others regularly put in 20 hours a week.

New people are on the whole much more involved than those they replaced but are
not interested in making cohousing their second job on evenings on weekends.
Even getting bids and arranging the work someone else does takes lots of time.
Even though more than half of our residents work at home at least a few days a
week, they are unwilling to take on these tasks.

As the number of units increases so do the jobs and not just in number-- in
scale. They are more complex and can't be done by the local person with an
assistant who helps everyone else in private homes. Painting the CH will take
at least 4 full days and a team of painters. The plumbing jobs have to be done
by a big company. The smaller plumbers everyone in the neighborhood knows and
trusts don't want to do such big jobs. It's too complex.

Thanks,
Sharon
----
Sharon Villines