20yr: Posting from an almost 20-year regular on the list
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:46:28 -0800 (PST)
  I began pursuing cohousing 20 1/2 years ago. I began reading, and
occasionally posting to, the list 19 1/2 years ago. Thank you Fred for managing
the list all these years. It has been a valuable resource for me and for many
others.
  I feel that from 1992-2001, it was a lot easier to get a coho group up and
running than it has been since. Even though more recent groups have learned
from the experiences of the earlier ones. I sense that 9/11 and the associated
recession put a damper on the cohousing movement that it never recovered from.
The 2008-12 recession and associated events, specifically it being much harder
to get construction loans and mortgages, put a further damper on the cohousing
movement.
  I have been a member of Mosaic Commons for 3 1/2 years. Before I joined, this
group went thru 8 years of almost unimaginable hassle. They pulled it off. Many
groups in similar circumstances folded.

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA