[20yr] Sanda on San Mateo Ecovillage / retrofit
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:12:34 -0800 (PST)
Sanda on San Mateo Ecovillage / retrofit
Sanda Everette <ecosanda [at] gmail.com>

This is Sanda's summary / update on occasion of the list's 20 years
about the San Mateo Ecovillage / retrofit experience.  I corrected a
couple typos and added a bit of foratting.

Fred

I ended up going to the archives and gathering snippets here in there
over the five years between 1997 and 2002 when it looks like I stopped
using the list. An interesting starting point from almost 15 years ago
as I plan for a brief trip to Costa Rica in two  weeks.

I wrote a concluding paragraph about where we are now.  Thanks Fred.

-------------------------

Subject: Re: Sanda in Costa Rica
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:27:19 -0500
Greetings from Costa Rica where I am beginning the second week of a
four week program at a language school outside of San Jose. Yesterday
we visited a housing project, one of many in Costa Rica designed for
the poor, 40% single women. The government helps purchase the land but
it is a private enterprise. All families must contribute 30 hours/week
of labor. They may not sell or rent their houses. The community OWNS
the community. I will be returning to San Mateo the end of the month.
Some of you may recall that we are attempting to develop an urban
retrofit type mini-cohousing project on an inlet of San Francisco Bay
20 miles south of the city. Hopefully there will be a website for it
soon when Stuart updates the cohousing pages--for all I know he
already has.... There will be two opportunities coming up to join us
next month. There will be a wonderful 2 BR apartment available the
first week. It has a great deck, about 16x16, overlooking the water.
We will also be looking for someone to share our 3 BR apartment toward
the end of the month. You can write me in Costa Rica, include my name
in the subject or my husband, Brian, in San Mateo sand [at] bigfoot.com

We look forward to seeing many of you at the cohousing conference in
Seattle. Hasta luego, Sanda

I've had trouble remembering when we bought the first building - now I
know our anniversary date

Urban retrofit cohousing in San Mateo County
From: Sanda Everette (severetteed.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:34:17 -0600
We finally closed escrow February 10th on the first four-plex. .....

-------------------------
AND FROM 11/99

Well we are still chugging along in our efforts to develop retrofit
cohousing. Since the last time I wrote about it, the owner of the
second building put us off again. The purchase is now suppose to
happen in January. We are still looking for brave souls to buy in to
our mini-ecovillage in the suburban netherlands of the San Francisco
Bay area. On another note, I mentioned to some that we traveled to
Europe last summer and visited, among other places, Damanhur community
in Italy. I now have my European vacation pages on line with links to
photos I have taken as well as to Damanhur and other connections. I
hope this process gives you a bit more control than being invited to
see someone's home movies. You can link from my home page or just go
to http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda/Europe99/Europe99.htm Sanda and
Brian Everette http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda San Mateo Cooperative
Community http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda/smcc.htm Toward a
sustainable lifestyle: grow some of your own food and/or know the
gardener who is growing it.

MOVING ON TO 2000