20yr
From: Saoirse Charis-Graves (saoirse03mac.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:30:54 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

It's been awhile. Thanks to Fred for the invitation. Cohousing-l was critical
to us (and me) in the formative years. Then, we kind of settled in and looked
more internally than externally for "solutions." We had been very stable, then
in the past 18 months we've lost a couple of households who moved into assisted
living (with another likely in the next year or so). Economics motivated one
household to downsize house payments, and a change in lifestyle pushed another
household to move. That's a lot of transition for us. Some of that has flowed
and some of it has not. Currently, we are very intentionally seeking families
with younger children, not an easy task in this time of rapid cash buyouts by
older, retired folks.

We just implemented (after 16 years of avoidance) a "pay in lieu of work"
system. So far, it's going well. It allowed us to re-visit some of our
agreements in a clear and respectful manner and to formulate clear boundaries
on responsibilities of membership for all our residents. It's going so well, in
fact, that I wonder why we didn't do it 10 years ago. I think it's actually
helping us re-form as a community after a period of "letting go" to our
individual desires and pathways.

I personally sought and was elected to our local city council. That moves me to
a different level of community responsibility, which creates some distance but
is something I love doing. It's a big enough container for my passions whereas
the community sometimes was not. I still manage common house equipment repairs
along with our trash/recycling, which satisfies my need to "fix" things.

We've gone to a "property manager" model for certain maintenance tasks that did
not hold up well under an all-volunteer system. And we've changed our long-term
reserves as we've become smarter about how to keep things going in a now-aging
community.

Community process has become less intense and perhaps less intentional. We are
more relaxed. With that level of relaxation comes some benefit and some cost. I
guess we've found a place of mature acceptance. We are better now at
recognizing what is urgent and what is not, what is a community-held value and
what is not, what is personal and what is communal and what is simply what
happens to humans living in a shared place.

I might live here for the rest of my life, and that would be fine with me. I
might move to Ireland one day, and that would be interesting and amazing and I
wouldn't say "no" if the opportunity arose.

All in all, I would say we are mostly settled here in Harmony Village. We are
weathering the transitions with mostly grace and some bumps. Some of us have
found a personal path mostly outside the village though we are still grateful
for the comfort and support of home. Others are still very engaged in community
life and community interactions and couldn't imagine another way of living.

And that's the news from Harmony Village on a snowy February afternoon in 2013.

Saoirse (aka Cheryl) Charis-Graves
Harmony Village
Golden, Colorado
http://www.harmonyvillage.org