Re: Cohousing-L is 20 yr old;
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:07:30 -0800 (PST)
Chuck & Katie published the First Edition of The Book in 1988, so if Coho-L is
20 y.o., then cohousing is rapidly approaching its 25th anniversary this year.
Both Chuck and Katie as well as Fred Olsen are to be complimented on their
contributions. The world is a better place for all that has resulted from their
initiatives. I have previously suggested that many cohousing communities who
have embraced aging in place are now approaching becoming a "NORC", a Naturally
Occurring Retirement Community, whether by design or purely happenstance. Many
other communities aggressively market to younger families to keep their homes
in an age diverse, multi-generational community, even if they can't prevent
aging within their own household.  I offer a few questions for consideration
within these perpestives: 1. Does Cohousing offer the same benefits to the next
generation as we all anticipated 20-25 years ago? 2. Should current Cohousing
planners be thinking differently about what NexGen cohousing should offer, how
it should be designed, what additions or exclusions should be included? 3. What
is the transition plan for Cohousing-L? Fred has given us all a monumental
service of time and server space by his creation of Cohousing-L, file
maintenance and open access. Who will carry on this service at any future time
that he feels open to or compelled to pass on the reins? 4. How would you like
to improve Cohousing-L if you were to take over its executive leadership and
maintenance? Tom LofftLiberty Village, MD > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:35:12
-0600