Re: Designing common house
From: Robin Allison (robin.allisonearthsong.org.nz)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:45:40 -0800 (PST)
The common house dining room at Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood uses a very
simple, cheap and effective system for reducing the noise. We have a high
cathedral ceiling over the dining room, lined with narrow timber battens
nailed direct to the rafters over hessian (sacking fabric), with gaps
between the battens. This allows the noise to travel through the hessian and
be absorbed by the thermal insulation between the rafters. This looks great,
and is so effective that even with 60 people dining and talking, it is a
pleasant acoustic environment. And yet it is still fine for musical
performances etc, which require more acoustic "brightness".

I'm happy to send a photo to show what it looks like - email me direct if
you'd like one.

Cheers
Robin Allison
Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood