Re: Cohousing-L is 20 years old
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 06:09:31 -0800 (PST)
Greetings all,

This is Sylvie Kashdan of Jackson Place Cohousing, in Seattle, Washington.
Our community is now twelve years old. The construction was completed in the
fall of 2001, and most of the homes were already spoken for. We moved in in
the fall and winter of that year, in the midst of the gloominess and fear
and apprehention of the time.

Cohousing-L was there to help our group even before move-in. And As we began
our new experiment of living together and working on developing cooperative
relationships, and maintaining our facilities in the best way, we often
turned to the list and the archives to get some ideas of how to procede.

My partner and I joined the group a year before move-in, and I began reading
the list immediately. So now, I have been reading, and sometimes
contributing to Cohousing-L for something like thirteen years. Over those
years, the Jackson Place Cohousing community has turned to the list for
suggestions on all sorts of topics, from organizing chores to paying for
childcare providers, and beyond. I have sometimes been asked by the JPC
group to post specific questions to the list and to collect posts on
specific topics from the list and the archives to help inform us in our
community business meeting discussions. We have benefited from the wisdom of
others, and even been able to help some other groups by sharing our
experiences and hard won wisdom.

This list has been an invaluable resource for Jackson Place Cohousing, and I
am very grateful for its existence. Thank you Fred and everyone else who has
helped make it such a good contact and reference point for all of us.

Sincerely,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan
Community Outreach Liaison