Re: The Tyranny of Homeowners Associations
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:43:06 -0800 (PST)
HOAs have powers and duties similar to governments?  Omigosh, how did this
happen?

Well, it happened because that's how we, the American people, wanted it to
happen.  HOAs — or condominium associations, as in Massachusetts — represent a
system of reciprocal rights and responsibilities that are meant to facilitate
both segregated ownership of specific parts of a building, and also the use and
enjoyment, sharing and maintenance of other parts (the "common" areas) of the
building, by the community as whole.  Rules for HOAs are promulgated at the
State level, according to the wisdom of each State's legislature.  Decisions
about assessments, insurance, maintenance, rules of access, etc, are made via
representative democracy, i.e., a "Managing Board" (or some such term) of
member / owner / residents elected by their peers.  These, then, are your
tyrants.

The false premise underlying this pseudo-problem is that the Managing Board is
somehow "those other people" — people not like us, but who are meddling with
our lives and our property rights in inappropriate or illegal ways.  But this
is not correct: Those people are indeed us, and we (members of the HOA) can
change them out if we want to.  In theory, this is true for elected officials
at State and federal levels as well; in practice, however, dumping out
incumbents is very hard in State and federal politics.  Not so in HOAs,
however; members of the Board are shuffled around all the time, for a whole
bunch of reasons.  Would that Libya and Syria could dispense with their tyrants
so easily as HOAs.  If your HOA Board is obdurately tyrannical, maybe it's
because you never go its meetings, and didn't participate in the last five
elections..

Don't want to get involved in your HOA politics?  Well, good news:  This is
America, and you don't have to live in an oppressive HOA community.  You can
move to another one where your Board and your neighbors are more reasonable,
and can be left to their own devices.  You can buy a single family home.  You
can be tenant, hopefully in a unit owned and run by a kindly landlord.  Play
your real estate cards right, and you can become a kindly landlord yourself.
Lots of alternatives here.

RPD