Re: The Tyranny of Homeowners Associations
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:40:52 -0800 (PST)
Neighbors in a development banding together to maintain, repair and facilitate
use of their common property in a collective manner, in the spirit of mutual
aid and support, is one thing. It can promote efficiency, sustainability,
diversity and community, as cohousing at its best demonstrates.

A private, undemocratic* association taking on functions that traditionally
belong to local government, lacking the latter's wider vision, accountability
and constitutional limits on suppression of free expression and private
behavior, is quite another. This constitutes privatization of the public sphere
and is generally pursued to facilitate development and management for profit,
not the needs of all residents, let alone the broader neighborhood and society.
Not surprisingly, fiscal issues often become the main motivating factor for
such associations, making them easy and willing partners, for instance, to
debt-collection corporations that contract with them to harass owners of less
means who may have fallen on hard times -- up to the point of foreclosure for
relatively small fee arrearages. I saw this many times in my previous work as a
legal aid attorney for seniors -- and the arrearages themselves were frequented
caused by hard-headed decisions to
 increase fees drastically or institute large special assessments without
regard for some residents' ability to pay.

Bottom line: This is one aspect of the phenomenon in our society that makes
housing a commodity for profit, as opposed to a human need and right. People
are pushed to buy into the "American dream" whether it makes sense for them or
not, and CIDs can appear to be attractive options. But the complications as
conditions and majorities change can add untenable complications for those of
lesser means subjected to an HOA's authority.

*Undemocratic because typically, each owner has one vote, regardless of the
number of people living in the unit and regardless of whether the owner, for
whom it may be only an investment motivated by profit, lives in the development
at all -- not to mention the lack of oversight and accountability required in
elections to public bodies. While state CID law may dictate this structure for
cohousing communities too, I suspect that most of them, like mine, limit
non-owner occupancy from the start and find other ways to give voice to
additional residents, including non-owners. Not to mention the attention we pay
to democratic, even ultra-democratic process under a consensus regime.