Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 109, Issue 26
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:09:14 -0800 (PST)
Hi Dave,
I strongly believe in composting; it's the best thing you can do for your
garden.  However, a cohousing community can produce a lot of compostable
materials.  If you have only a small community garden, composting could take
over the bulk of the space.  In addition, it's a chore that may not have people
who are enthusiastic to deal with it.  My recommendation is that you plan a
small compost area--you need 3 bins--one to stockpile dry materials to add to
your cooking scraps, one for the working compost and one for the finished or
finishing compost.  Then limit what people contribute to pre-cooked vegetable
trimmings.  This will keep it smelling nicer, attract less wildlife and reduce
the amount you have to deal with.
Good luck.
Melanie