Anaerobic Compost - Yuck! / Well, maybe
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:28:47 -0800 (PST)
Zev wrote:

> Anaerobic digestion is the LAST thing you want
> your compost to do if you are attempting to created light, fluffy
> and nutrient rich compost.

We compost (here in Minnesota) when it is not winter but are not
attentive enough to the compost's needs but we muddle thru.
I'm no expert.

My first thought was that maybe "anaerobic" was a typo when it first
came up in this thread.  But clearly David Bygott's Feb 25th post was
intentional.  But note that he also said  "using the "Bokashi" system".
I did a bit further (tho not a thorough) investigation.

First I read the page he refered to  (note the file name) :

http://cleantechnica.com/2009/03/03/bokashi-this-is-not-your-fathers-compost/
(be sure to look over the comments)

and wikipedia:

 Organic ingredients intended for composting can alternatively be used
 to generate biogas through anaerobic digestion. Anaerobic digestion is
 fast overtaking composting in some parts of the world including
 central Europe as a primary means of downcycling waste organic matter.

And:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/
bokashi-japanese-composting-solution_n_1588774.html

 Bokashi is not widely used in the United States, but its practitioners
 think it should be.

A few other notes and unanswered questions.

I think different / special microganisms are needed for Bokashi;
it is not just sealing up your compost.  (again, I am no expert)

What does the resulting Bokashi compost look like?

Could it be described as "light, fluffy and nutrient rich compost"
which Zev aims for?

How does Bokashi and aerobic compost it compare as a soil amendment?

One of the cleantechnica.com (above) coments said it could be used in
winter (in Sweden).

Fred