2BR 2 BA loft home available in Eastern Village Cohousing, Silver Spring, MD
From: Rodney Elin (hen3ryeasternvillage.org)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 07:33:21 -0800 (PST)

Our condo is located on the third and fourth floors of Eastern Village Cohousing in Silver Spring, Maryland, right on the border of Washington D.C. Here is the upper/fourth floor plan (http://ecohousing.net/floorplans/315UP.PDF <http://ecohousing.net/floorplans/315UP.PDF>) and the lower/third floor plan (http://ecohousing.net/floorplans/315.PDF <http://ecohousing.net/floorplans/315.PDF>). Both floors have doors leading to the outside onto separate balconies overlooking prime views of the sculptured and landscaped courtyard. The unit is 2 large bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, approximately 1,233 square feet. 2 living areas - 1 upstairs/1 downstairs, open loft with spiral stairs, bamboo floors throughout, Zero-VOC or clay paint throughout,ceiling fan in master bedroom, and large windows. There is a lot of closet/storage space, washer/dryer, Modern kitchen with convection oven, built in microwave, filtered water in fridge, and silestone counters. The monthly condo fee is approx. $410; it includes water, gas, and Internet. Satellite TV is available through the building at a discounted group rate; the unit is also wired for cable and receives good over-the-air TV reception. Parking is available on the street or you can (as most residents do) pay $95/month for a county PCS permit, which allows 24-hr parking in the garage behind Eastern Village as well as the other county-run Silver Spring garages. Our 2012 state and county real estate taxes were approximately $3,815.

If you haven't already, check out our website for more information on the Eastern Village Cohousing community: _http://www.easternvillage.org/ <http://www.easternvillage.org/>_. I'm also copying (below) a summary of some of the great things about our community, written by another resident here. (Note that all community activities are optional, though they are one of the nicest things about living here!)

We are doing a for-sale-by-owner (as many of the sales here have been), and our asking price is $394,900. We are moving into our new house in late April and would ideally like to close around the same time, though can be flexible.

If you would like more information or would like to see our home, please contact Paul and Rachel at evc315 [at] gmail.com <mailto:evc315 [at] gmail.com>.

And for more details:
Eastern Village Cohousing Condominium: Country Living in the City! We enjoy...

Potluck Dinners: Every Monday we celebrate with a potluck dinner in
the common house dining room.

Birthday Celebrations: On the first Monday of each month, the potluck
dinners celebrate those residents whose birthdays occur during that
month.

SAGE Brunches: On the first Friday of each month, we host a SAGE
brunch. Although this brunch was initially designed primarily for
retirees, all are welcome to attend/participate, and in fact we
encourage everyone to participate. The only general rule is that we
do not talk shop.

Vegan Meal Nights: Every other Wednesday night, residents bring their
favorite vegan dish to share with all.

Movie Nights: We have three versions: group viewing of movies at the
AFI or Majestic Theatres in downtown Silver Spring, group viewing of
movies in another resident's home, and group viewing of movies on the
roof or common house.

Theater Shows: We attend plays and shows at venues such as the
Kennedy Center, Montgomery College, etc., in groups, and we often get
discounted tickets.

Yoga: We organize two weekly yoga classes onsite: one with a
professional teacher and one run collaboratively by residents.

Bikes: We have bike spaces throughout the building (locations assigned
by lottery) and in the adjacent Kennett Street Garage, and a very
bike-friendly community.

Poetry Readings: We have our own resident poet.

Sunset Celebrations: Enjoy gorgeous views and impromptu sunset
celebrations on the roof with beverages and light refreshments. Happy
hours in the courtyard are not uncommon in the warmer months!

"Green" Living Roof: Our roof is another beloved community common
space, with play equipment for the children, a gazebo with tables and
chairs for al fresco dining, and lounge chairs for taking in the
panoramic views amidst the plants of the living roof (another "green"
feature of the building).

Trusted Baby Sitters: Baby sitters are easy to find within the
community; the best part is that you do not have to pick them up or
drive them home.

Safe Play Areas for Children: Not only do we have several areas for
children to play safely, members of the community keep close tabs on
the children to ensure their safety and security. Strangers are
immediately identifiable since we are such a close-knit community.

Built-in Pet Sitters: This pet-friendly community has many residents
who will take care of your pets inside your home while you are away,
at no charge.

Community Engagement: Our neighborhood is represented by the South
Silver Spring Neighborhood Association, which meets regularly and
advocates well for neighborhood concerns (and plans the annual block
party!)

Environmentally Friendly: EVC is a LEED (Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design) Silver award winner. The building's common
spaces and the individual condos have low electric bills because of
our energy-efficient geothermal heating/cooling system. Appliances are
Energy Star, paint is low or no-VOC, and many units have bamboo
floors.

EVC Guest Rooms: We have three guest rooms, located on the 2nd, 3rd,
and 4th floors, respectively. These large, comfortable, hotel-style
rooms each have their own separate full baths and are available for
use by residents and their guests (ideal for when the in-laws or that
old college friend visit).

EVC Websites: We have two websites, one where we post pertinent
documents and residents can comment on issues of concern. That
website is available to all members of the community and requires a
user name and password: The other is a website that is accessible
without a username or password and provides general information
concerning the community: _http://www.easternvillage.org/ <http://www.easternvillage.org/>_.

Walkable Community:
* Within a 5 minute walk: Blair Plaza, Giant Foods w/ Starbucks, CVS,
barber, beauty salon, manicurists, dry cleaners, Caribou Coffee,
Moorenko's Ice Cream, & restaurants (Oriental East, Mamma Lucia,
Pomegranate Cafe, Subway, Tiramisu, Pizza Bolis, etc.)
* Within a 10 minute walk: the Silver Spring Metro & MARC stations,
Starbucks, Einstein Bagels, RiteAid, FedEx Office, Plaza Art Supply,
fire and police station, restaurants (Quary House, Sidebar, Jackie's, Olazzo, Pacci's Neapolitan Pizzeria, Fire Station 1, etc.), Shepard park Playground, Jessup Blair Park, Montgomery College

* Within a 15 minute walk: Downtown Silver Spring shops and
restaurants, AFI and Majestic Theaters, Whole Foods, Borders Books,
Safeway, fitness centers, post office, the old Walter Reed, Shepherd Park (DC) Library, site of the new Silver Spring Library (under construction), Rock Creek trails
etc.
* Within one block: Metro Bus stops (S2, 70/71/79 Express), plus free
weekday VanGo bus
_http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/transportation/vango-stops <http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/transportation/vango-stops>_

Know Your Neighbors: One of the great things about Eastern Village is
that you will know your neighbors, be greeted by your neighbors, and
be helped by your neighbors. It's a wonderful place to live!