insurance
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
This is addressed especially to California communities, but helpful information
from elsewhere may also be useful.

Do you have a current recommendation for an insurance company or independent
broker who has been very helpful with the general policy for your condo
community? We're looking to shop around as ours comes up for renewal.

Price is a big factor, of course, but also flexibility in meeting our needs
without overkill and clarity in explaining the boundaries of what is covered
and what is not.

Ideally, the provider would also offer the same service with good prices (and
with the same company) for individuals buying their separate condo policies.
Our assumption is that if the same company does both, as least we're assured
there would be no gap between what each covers. (We hear different descriptions
of where the line is between outside vs. inside the buildings.)

Finally, a bank with which one of our members is now seeking to refinance is
demanding that we have "fidelity bond" coverage to protect against employees of
a management company who embezzle, for instance. I have inquired, noting that
we don't contract with a management company or pay any employees to conduct
management business, and this was never demanded previously. Have you run into
this (and this may well be an area where state law is important)?

Thanks.
David L. Mandel
Southside Park, Sacrmento