Re: recruitment screening and rentals
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
I am guessing that by "rental suites", you are referring to members who, in
addition to the unit they will occupy themselves, also want to build and own
one or more units that they will rent to others.

On the whole, America is somewhat over-wrought with prejudices about ownership
= good, tenancy = problems, or failure.  It should not be surprising that
national tenant-phobia translates into the cohousing culture.  I personally
think that rental units have roles to play in a healthy cohousing community.
Nonetheless, be prepared for issues of taxation, of eventual absentee
landlords, and of second-class citizen politics that may attend the rental
presence.  Diversity is almost always harder than uniformity, and that applies
to modes of tenure as well.

I have no idea how to screen for future problem neighbors -- or how to predict
which candidates will eventually mesh with the cohousing lifestyle.  At
Cornerstone, we have some newcomer tenants who are among our most engaged
participants, and some owner-founders who have dropped out of the picture.  Go
figure.

RPD

Sent from my iPad