Re: recruitment screening and rentals
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
When we were forming, we found that asking potential members to get involved
separated the wheat from the chaff  pretty well. Now that we are in residence,
we ask new people to come to a  meal,  a committee meeting, a business meeting
and if possible, a work party or social event.  That gives us a good chance to
get to know them and vice versa, and to see them in several different
environments.  When they have been through the various events both sides have a
pretty good idea of what they are getting into.

I would add that it is a serious warning sign if someone  believes they are
always right.  Now most of us are pretty sure we are on the side of the
righteous most of the time, but some people always know best, and these folk,
however pleasant, create havoc in a consensus system.   People who are always
right cannot let the smallest detail go against their inner convictions, and
will hold up everything from where to locate to the color of the mailbox to the
name of the finance committee. They may have tremendous skills to offer the
community, but if they can't listen to others, it just won't work.

Renters can add a lot to a cohousing community. Many of the problems attributed
to renters have much more to do with absentee landlords. If people within the
community are renting out rooms or units, they will likely continue to take
good care of the properties, and will have a stake in resolving any
difficulties. We ask anyone renting to find tenants who are interested in
participating.  We have two long term renters at New Brighton who have
participated in the community for years, and aside from not coming to business
meetings, are as much involved in the community as any of us (and more than
some owners).  Allowing rentals will make it easier for people of different
incomes, ages and stages in life to participate in your community.   Our most
recent owner member came as a renter and loved it so much she decided to buy
in.

Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA