Re: recruitment screening and rentals
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

For built communities, I am most curious about how you tell the "chaf" that
your community is not the community for them.  If they want to buy a home and
the seller wants to sell ... how is it that you keep "chaff" from mixing w/
your resident "wheat?"

I'm especially thinking of circumstances where charges of discrimination can
figure in -- and yes it has happened this is not a "what if?" -- how do  you
handle "chaff" w/ a legal charge? (This has NOT happened in my home community.
It was in a forming community.)

BTW -- we also have a process of inviting prospective owners to dinner, a
general meeting, a team meeting, meeting w/ community members, etc etc etc and
I've heard these prospective neighbors EXTOLLING the virtues of living in
community and how they will participate and contribute.  After signing the
papers, getting the keys to their new home ... never see evidence of
participation.  Don't come to meetings, don't serve on teams, don't come to
work days but they enjoy using all the parts of the community and participating
in social events.

Do you have folks like these in your community?  If so, what conversation(s)
are you having w/ them?

Note:  some of the worst "chaff" we have in the community are founding members
... some of the very best "wheat" are renters and "newcomers."  It's not all
one way ...My guess is a lot of this can be avoided earlier on by having
serious, in depth discussions about what individuals expect in terms of
participation which lead to guidelines.  If you have a set are guidelines ...
are you willing to call people to accountability around them?

Why didn't we have these discussions during development?  Quite possibly
because we all thought we were on the same page, we had stars in our eyes or
... we were just too stressed from marketing, sales, design, etc. to see what
was out there.

 Now ... we have the luxury of having some communities 25+ years experience to
draw on.  We now know that development of a cohousing community is a short
sometimes painful 2-5 years (or greater!) but it's over.  The "living happily
ever after" is the real focus of organizing efforts.  What you do in the
development stage to create your social/community norms -- your community
culture -- you will live w/ a very very long time.  It's really hard to change
once people have moved in.

I'd like to hear from others on this.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo