Thoughts From a Longtime Cohousing Resident
From: Zev Paiss (Zevabrahampaiss.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thoughts From a Longtime Cohousing Resident
The idea of community is a concept we see and hear about all the time.
Spiritual community, social community, online community or even the people who
live in your neighborhood are example of modern-day communities.

But what does it really take to live successfully within a close community of
people? Over the past 18 years I have had the opportunity to live in two very
different Colorado cohousing communities. One was rural and quite large with 42
households, and the other is quite urban and small with only 11 households.
Both neighborhoods use the cohousing principles of resident participation,
design for community, shared common facilities, non-hierarchical decision
making and resident management.

What I learned over these years is that while living in community is not a
solution for all the world's ills, it is far better than living isolated in
either a large city or in the suburbs. After all humans are a social species
and for 95% of human history we have lived in extended families, tribes and
villages. Deep down inside living in community is the norm.

From my personal experience living successfully in community takes at least
four attributes:

1. Honesty - Because of the higher level of interaction members of a community
cross paths and effect one another more often and on more levels that living by
yourself or only with your nuclear family. Telling the truth becomes even more
critical in this situation. Honesty can sometime be brutal so the intention is
to be honest without intentionally causing harm, ridicule or shame.

2. Patience - Clear communication takes time. Individual listening and
processing styles can vary greatly. While one person may be able to hear a
suggestion and act immediately more often we require time and distance to
integrate new information before being ready to act. Depending on the form of
decision making in a community it may take quite a bit longer for a decision to
be reached than in a more typical top-down decision making arrangements.

3. Tolerance - Even in a community of middle income white suburbanites, the
amount of diversty can be astounding. Differences in political, spiritual and
religious beliefs, communication and parenting styles, life experience,
economic status, age, sexual orientation and birth order all contribute to who
we are. Because of the increased closeness and interdependence of community
members, successful community living requires a level of tolerance beyond what
is typically needed in our artifically independent society.

4. Generosity - When I was in the stage of attracting new members to my current
cohousing community where I have now lived for 16 years, it was clear that a
person was not going to do well if their first question was "What can this
community offer me?" Rather potential community members need to consider what
they are bring to the "party." Through random acts of kindness and generosity
community life can become rich and supportive without any one member feeling
burnt out.

With just these four attributes living in community can be a rewarding and
supportive experience. And as we weave our way through the Great Transition,
this will become more and more important.

You can read more at my blog at:
http://abrahampaiss.com/fromheretothere/archives/393