Re: colored cutting boards
From: Karen Carlson (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
Chefs Illustrated cleaned 3 wooden cutting boards (used for raw chicken?  can't
remember) using one of 3 methods: 1) hot soapy water, 2) bleach solution, 3)
straight vinegar.  Their independent lab found all three methods equal and
effective.  (I suspect if you have some particularly horrible viruses, the
results could be different.)  Our prep island is a huge wood affair and we
clean using straight vinegar and then food grade mineral oil.  Raw meat of any
kind is processed on vinyl mats that go into the sanitizer.

The article has other good advice, such as don't wash chicken (wipe with wet
paper towels) unless you're prepared to scrub your sink, handles of faucet,
areas that the chicken dripped on etc.  Another good practice is instant read
thermometers, esp for meat, but cooks here can't seem to see the benefit.
Sorry I can't find the article but I think it was probably 2010 or 2011.

I have heard that it was right here at UW-Madison that the benefits of wood in
bacterial control was discovered but no matter where, it would need
replication.

Karen
Arboretum Cohousing Community
Madison, Wi