CommonHouse Stoves
From: Ruth Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 20:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Excellent advice re: be careful re: getting a real commercial stove.  We had
been given one-- and found out before installation that there are expensive
code requirements that go along with a commercial stove.  That was about
fifteen years ago.

One thing to note and keep in mind:  it is wonderful to have grates that allow
pots --esp pots full of water/food to be moved from burner to burner.

It is also true that those wonderful wide grates in a
semi-commercial/professional type stoves can take much much longer to heat, and
so a pot of water takes much longer to heat.
Our stove-- not in front of me, but I think it is a DCR-- has nice fat grates.
These-- we now know--meant for stoves--as in a restaurant-- that take a long
time to heat up,  then stay on long stretches of time.  Which is of course not
how we use them.  Our stove functions well-- and we have to try to remember to
allow a lot of time for something like boiling water.    It is often worthwhile
to heat some in our electric tea kettle, to get things going.  Sometimes, it
helps to heat several smaller pots of water.
So yo may want to get a stove with less 'sturdy'  grates.

BTW I think we'd have loved to have a convection oven-- and may find room for a
countertop one we have been gifted.

best wishes,
Ruth