Re: Health Food safety Cutting Boards Re: colored cuttingboards
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
Coho:

Physical scrubbing and rinsing are useful, but the bottom line in food safety with respect to bacteria (I'd like to know still more about viruses and bacteria in this context), is whether or not they are present after whatever procedure is used. A lot probably (more studies are needed, not just opining from cooking magazines' "experts" alone, which/who commonly fail to provide references to research or any kind of proof of their assertions).

If, say, one's vegetables and meats are "clean," or without bacteria or viruses, perhaps rinsing off visible material is good enough, perhaps not. Probably (though I have no studies to cite), dosage (how many bacteria or viruses) is important, but I don't know what the "critical" count is; whatever the critical level is, more many be worse than less, which may or may not be better. Exposure time, temperature, pH, salinity, and other factors all combine to either favor or disfavor bacteria and, presumably, viruses.

"Obsession" over clean boards at least follows the precautionary principle. Food residues, especially meats, are, in effect, culture media upon which bacterial populations can explode rather rapidly under the right conditions. In other words, why not use one or more of the various bactericides? Obsession would be using antibiotics, I suppose--not advisable. Context is everything. Are there any situations under which one should use soap or other cleansing agents, or should one NEVER use them?

WT

"The suspension of judgment is the highest exercise in intellectual discipline." R. M. Gilmore

"The worst kinda ignerance ain't s' much not knowin', as 'tis knowin' s' much that aint' so." --H. W. Shaw

----- Original Message ----- From: "R Philip Dowds" <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>