Re: Thoughts From a Longtime Cohousing Resident
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
Just to add, in the workplace, you don't get to pick who you work with. I have
frequently compared some of my coho neighbor relationships to coworkers. Some
coworkers you like immediately and create a friendship with. With others, you
do the work together and actively try to create a bond so that the work goes
more smoothly next time. There are both kinds in the community I live in.

Adding to Zev's great list:

5. Having a long fuse. The most problematic relationships for me and others are
neighbors  who fly off the handle and say terrible things. Guess what? They
still have to see each other tomorrow and deal with the consequences. Having a
steady temperament is a good basis for successful, long term relationships.

This is different from the "patience" Zev discussed, because that is more about
knowing that good things take time.

4.a. I would further specify the "generosity" that Zev mentioned to encompass
the sentiment: "we all create this thing together, so get off your duff". One
of my biggest maturity lessons was to realize that just about everything was
created by someone, that we are all co-creating everything all the time. We
have just creators and passive people (or unempowered people). So, I wouldn't
conflate this attitude of being a creator with generosity. I think they are
quite separate orientations.

yrs,

Mariana
Berkeley Coho, California

PS -- now, how do you design a personality test to effectively weed out people
who are low on these qualities?