Re: Per Household or per person?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 03:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Like the majority of condo associations and HOAs, most of our expenses are
divided and assessed in proportion to size of unit: A 2000 sq ft unit pays
about twice as much as a 1000 sq ft unit.  One minor exception is the community
water bill, which is divided up, not per unit or per fixture, but per
individual:  A couple with one child in a 1400 sq ft unit will pay more than a
couple without in a 1600 sq ft unit.  But this is a very minor expense.

If you are in formation, you might not know very much about future unit sizes.
A per member, rather than per unit, assessment, might make sense during the
formation period.  Interestingly enough, our community does consensus on a per
unit (per household) basis, where each of our 32 units has equal standing.
Other communities do consensus on a per member basis, excluding (usually)
dependent minors.  Then there is always the tenant / renter controversy: In
America, all citizens have an equal voice (so we say) in public affairs and
decisions — but at Cornerstone, only people with their names on a deed have a
voice.  ???

So there are least three options for dividing up the rights and
responsibilities:
  -- per household, whether large or small;
  -- per ownership share as defined on the master deed; and/or ...
  -- per member -- if you can agree on who is a member.  Our consensus process
excludes minors and tenants, but our water bill assessment includes them.
Taxation without representation, anyone?

Cornerstone Cohousing, Cambridge, MA
RPD