Per Household or Per Person
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 04:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
RPD from Cornerstone Cohousing in Cambridge, MA wrote:"If you are [a community]
in formation, you might not know very much about future unit sizes.  A per
member, rather than per unit, assessment, might make sense during the formation
period.  Interestingly enough, our community does consensus on a per unit (per
household) basis, where each of our 32 units has equal standing.  Other
communities do consensus on a per member basis, excluding (usually) dependent
minors.  Then there is always the tenant / renter controversy: In America, all
citizens have an equal voice (so we say) in public affairs and decisions ? but
at Cornerstone, only people with their names on a deed have a voice.  ???" I
reflect, If you are seeking consensus, how will it matter if a household is
counted as one household or two (or more) member voices? Actually, a household
of multiple members may have multiple opinions, one (or more) in accord, one
(or more) in disagreement. A true search for consensus should seek to have
every opinion expressed, not to force a supression of contradictory opinions.
So much for determining policy. When it comes to tallying up and sharing the
bills, only the property owners may be assessed for fees through the typical
condiminium laws of every state. Should renting tenants who have no capital
investment at risk in their lodging be able to force an assessment to create
benefits for themselves at the expense of the property owners? As to public
policy of our non-democratic federal republic, property owners don't get any
vote by virtue of property ownership. Every citizen (or other human who manages
to get themselves registered) gets to vote, except those excluded by felony
conviction (in some states?) or by lack of verifiable citizenship (in some
other states?) In my personal opinionTom LofftLiberty Village, MD