Re: recruitment screening and rentals
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
I am curious about the legal challenge with a forming group that you mentioned.

Maybe we have been lucky, but we have not had any post-move in prospective
buyers make it through all the meetings, meal and work parties who then turned
out to be consistent free-loaders. We try to have people commit to a committee
before they buy, and have them begin work, and join us at meals while in
escrow. The three households that joined after initial move in are all very
active, hardworking folk.  I have several thoughts on why that might be: 1) I
live in a very small community, and my experience is that peer pressure is more
effective in a small group, 2) If we notice someone's conspicuous absence from
meetings or lack of follow through on tasks, we follow up, and 3), we have a
very unusual loan and legal structure, and I suspect the faint of heart are
scared away.  The only serious participation issue we have had is with a
founding member who lived out of town and did not take an active part in either
all the early discussions and decision
 making or in all the work to find and buy the place, and that is a mistake we
will not make again.

Many of us, myself included, have had periods of  community sloth, where we
were not meeting our full community responsibilities.  At various times we have
had a member of the facilitation committee and /or whatever community or work
committee they were on go talk to the sloth in question with the aim us getting
back to full participation.  Among the questions asked are: how is your life
going? (is there some illness/stress/ event that is keeping you from getting
the  common house toilet scrubbed/ making it to meetings?) Has your
life/schedule changed in a way that makes your assigned tasks difficult to
fulfill? Is there another task/ committee that would work better for you? Do
you like to work on your own or in a group?   We have also had good luck
assigning a person or to invite the "sloth" to meetings/work party/ affinity
group tasks- no guilt, no recriminations, just a friendly invitation.  It takes
a little work, and tact, but has had very
 good results in most cases.

The community has taken a major role in recruitment and sales when a member has
decided to sell, and we are very clear from the get go that if anyone leaves
the community, we have all agreed to find someone who will be a full
participant.  We work with a real estate agent who is interested in the idea of
cohousing and makes sure that potential buyers talk with community members
about what is expected before making an offer.  All that said. we don't have
any legal recourse to prevent a seller from selling to a particular buyer.

Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA