Re: Per Household or Per Person
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 04:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
At JP Cohousing, we have a 1 person 1 vote on all community and social issues.
For assessments or financial issues, including when voting for Board members,
we allow 1 vote per household.   All expenditures during the development phase
are part of building the homes and thus, are financial assessments.   During
development if you are voting on a pet policy, 1 vote per person.  If you are
raising money for marketing costs, it should be per household.

While I understand the argument that a single person household shouldn't have
to pay more, that's not the way the world of US INDIVIDUAL home ownership
works.  The adult owner(s) are responsible for the finances of their home,
whether they choose to live alone or with other adults who contribute to the
costs of the home.   Condo fees are based on sq footage of the home, not number
of adults per household.  During the development phase, these rules should
apply.  Costs are per household; that's the way individual homeownership works.

Patti
Jamaica Plain Cohousing, Boston MA