Re: Per Household or Per Person
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 05:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Cornerstone formerly operated under a unique form of consensus (more like
unanimity voting than anyone cared to admit) that compelled each household to
act in unison.   For the time being, we are now working more like classical
Butler consensus, where the object is to improve the outcome by identifying and
resolving objections.  So I agree: With classical consensus, the individual,
not the household, is the critical unit.  But and however, we still define
quorum -- the minimum level of participation needed to legitimize the plenary
-- as at least 14 *households*, out of a total of 32.  Not as a portion of the
total number of names on the deeds (which is about 50±).  Eh?

We welcome and encourage opinions from each and all of our member/owners, but
not necessarily from the ten or so adult rent-payers squirreled away in various
units.  You ask, Should we tolerate those who have no capital investment
forcing assessments on us?  My responses to this would be ...

  -- Consensus, for better or worse, is a system that favors the status quo.
My worry about consensus is not that a minority will compel the majority into
undesired action, or that we will get bad decisions.  Quite the contrary, my
worry is that we will get no decisions, and nothing new will happen.  Ever.
  -- You appear to believe community participation is validated by owning
something.  There are three significant problems with your view.  (1) Costs of
assessments are normally passed on to tenants, like the property tax; so
tenants are like owners, paying for benefits, but without developing equity.
(2) A resident's interests in the community are more than financial; they are
also social, cultural, and political.  In fact, these latter interests are, for
some or many, more important than the bean-counting.  And (3) denying the
franchise to citizens who don't own real estate is un-American, and now
discredited throughout most of the modern world.  Which returns us to the
bedrock question ...

Why should tenants be excluded from coho membership?

RPD

Sent from my iPad