Re: Thoughts From a Longtime Cohousing Resident
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
As is often the case, Sharon V speaks my mind.

> ... how many people can a community support who come because it advertises
> itself as supportive?... How many people with limited ability to tolerate the
> kind of conflict that diversity inevitably brings? How many people who need
> daily support at one point or another?
>
> Advertising ourselves as open to all has its limitations in a society where
> it is not true elsewhere.

As the main marketing contact, I can only give those who inquire about buying
as much information as possible about who WE are and what we do and expect, and
hope they will self-select. Some years back our left-leaning community was
approached by a nuclear submarine captain. I told him he'd need to be
comfortable with after-dinner announcements about demonstrations against war
and nuclear issues, and mentioned that, yes, I did know where Bangor Naval Base
was: I'd been arrested there! Suggested that if he moved here, perhaps we could
carpool some time.... (He ended up getting assigned elsewhere.)

I find plenty of diversity already in our mostly educated middle-class
center-to-left residents: we still have a surprising amount of diversity in
terms of attitudes and values about money, for one example.

Our main challenges in any way we might hope to encourage some sorts of
membership are that (a) our property is open-market, and can be sold by an
estate or departing member via realtors, without necessarily entailing our
orientation intervention, though we do our best to find buyers when a property
is for sale, and (b) even when we do meet with interested parties, we can only
offer information and encourage visiting meetings etc: we still cannot either
keep people from buying who don't seem a good fit, or really know how new
members will function once on board. Furthermore, some members change over the
years: some of us have been with this project over 20 years and mentally and
emotionally there can be changes. We are fortunate that so far we have always
kept a critical-mass of members who value and participate in community with the
group.

Ironically, I've noted that, among inquirers, gushy over-enthusiasm for how
wonderful it will be in cohousing is a red flag. I'd rather sell to someone who
is clear that there will always be some contentious members in group process,
that not everyone will be their personal friend, that it can entail not only
expense but work and time spent helping others and the group as a whole. Those
who have huge expectations are bound to be disappointed, which can lead to
resentment or withdrawal. You'd think the Outreach team would be all about
cheerleading for cohousing, but often we are offering a reality-check.

Which reminds me, it's about time I wrote a piece for the local paper, which is
a good way to keep up a public profile of who we are, with the potential to
attract inquiries from folks who would enjoy living here.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewindcohousing.org
Port Townsend WA