Re: common house kitchen stove
From: Mike Mariano (mikeschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
Regarding type of fuel/stove for a Common House (or any home for that matter),
I would highly recommend the community very thoughtfully consider the impact of
gas fuel on indoor air quality. Burning natural gas produces a mixture of
chemicals, including nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and
others. There is a fair amount of credible research that can be found on the
internet that addresses the risks, but this data is in competition with the
natural gas industry that has been very successful about promoting the use of
natural gas for cooking.

Induction stoves are used extensively in developed countries around the world
because they are a very efficient method of cooking. Obviously, going with
induction should take into consideration your source of electricity (if you're
downwind from a coal-fired plant, then maybe gas is an acceptable trade-off).

Most of our local electricity is hydro-generated (which has its issues), but we
have a restaurant next door to our studio that uses induction for all of their
cooking, with much success I should add. For our upcoming cohousing community
construction, we are not bringing gas into the building at all, even though it
is the affordable fossil fuel of choice today. We are carrying the higher cost
for induction ranges in our budget (GE has a modestly-priced one). All electric
in the building will make it easier to transition to a local,
neighborhood-based photovoltaic supply in the future.

Mike
Capitol Hill Urban Cohousing
www.capitolhillurbancohousing.org<http://www.capitolhillurbancohousing.org>
Seattle

michael mariano aia  |  schemata workshop inc.
architect & principal

office 206.285.1589<tel:206.285.1589>    mobile 206.419.9122<tel:206.419.9122>
www.schemataworkshop.com<http://www.schemataworkshop.com/>