Re: common house kitchen stove
From: Rodney Elin (hen3ryeasternvillage.org)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed 20 Mar 13 20 Mar 13 2:0208, Mariana Almeida wrote:

One more point: this stove requires cast iron, which is heavy. Some of our
older members can't lift the cast iron pans and refuse to use them. By
requiring cast iron, you may be causing some problems down the road for cooks.
Mariana
Berkeley, CA

While Mike was mostly correct in his explaination, he missed a major point.
Cooking equipment must indeed be ferrous to function on an induction surface,
but almost all cookware theses days is manufactured to conform to the EU
requirements that are eliminating gas heating and cooking. Almost any
kitchenware, hardware or department store offers induction ready pots, pans and
equipment. and most of this equipment is no heavier than current pots and pans.
While cast iron and porcelain-enameled cookware  will work on an induction
stove, it is not necessary to use only iron. I think that just about ank pot,
pan, or skillet on the market today you will find to be induction ready.

And Mariana, if you have induction stoves or induction elements in your kitchen, your community will quickly learn how to use them.

~Rodney Elin
Eastern Village cohousing, Silver Spring, MD

Where we were required to purchase a very noisy self circulating stove for our common house kitchen, but we get around the noise issue by cooking on individual induction cook plates.