Re: One more good reason for those who do NOT live in cohousing to know their neighbors better.
From: Sue Ellen Hiers (ncdlfrontier.com)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 08:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
Co-housing in and of itself is not a protection against predators. Eno-Commons
here in Durham had a case of a father who sexually molested his adopted son.
People think predators will look and behave like monsters. They don't always.

Regards,
Sue Ellen Hiers

----- "R Philip Dowds" <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

It seems unlikely that kidnappers and other deviants looking for anonymity
would choose to live in cohousing. But your comment implies an interesting
question:

Yes, it's really true that in cohousing we get to know our fellow members
pretty well; that's why we moved in. But ... do we think that cohousing members
have better knowledge of, and relations with, the regular folk living up and
down the street in conventional housing, than these regular folk typically have
with each other? In other words, are cohousing residents more neighborly beyond
their property boundary than the regular folk populating the rest of the
neighborhood? Any evidence Yea or Nay?

R Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA